Saturday, February 27, 2010

Ommmmmmmmm...

I have been saying for WEEKS that I wanted to start yoga. I have a pregnancy yoga DVD here at the house, which is fine and all, but I like interaction. I like having someone guide me by talking me through what I'm doing - especially with something as "personal" as yoga. The last class I took was on Valentines day last year with Shannon and Kim. We had no clue it was a "Valentine" class we were taking. Every pose was a couple's pose designed to do with your "partner" so there were three of us trying to look each other in the eye(s) and "feel each others love." Aside from being just a little awkward, it was a great experience - I just never made the time to go back. And I've been told that the breathing techniques and the meditation can be life savers during delivery. So after a month or so of hem-hawing around and making excuses, I finally went.

And I'm sold.

It's hard to pick my favorite part...stretching, or breathing or just doing something physical for our bodies - mine and this babe's. Shavasana (I think that is the correct term) is the end of the class...laying on your back, palms up, eyes closed...it was awesome. It felt so good (don't worry, she set me up with pillows and mats so my baby belly was supported)...mentally and physically and spiritually to just be still and quiet and at peace. At peace.

Sarah (the owner of the studio) talked to me for a long time after the class. I guess she started yoga in her third trimester of her first pregnancy...just like me :). And she has been doing it ever since. I'm as impressed with her fitness as much as anything, but what strikes me is her demeanor. She emits calmness.

Like I said, I'm sold. I can't wait to go back.

I hope you all found some quiet and peace today, too. :)






Shavasana

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can just feel myself relax just reading about it!
Love you,
Joyce

Joel said...

I wanna Bub doing yoga with you. Maybe me and Bub.