Saturday, February 21, 2009


I'm not sure what has come over me, but I've been waking up super early on Saturday mornings lately. I try to take advantage of the early start by getting chores done so there's time for more leisurely activities (like getting back to Photoshop). 

Last week I got up at 7 on Saturday and tried to go to the gym only to find they don't open until 9. So I came home, cleaned the house and ran all my errands. It really was a great Saturday. Shannon and Kim and I went to Yoga in the afternoon to celebrate our girls' Valentines Day. Little did we know, it was Partner Yoga in honor of Valentine's Day. There were 6 or 7 couples...and the three of us. There were a couple of "partner poses" that were a little difficult to maneuver with the three of us but we had a great time, learned a lot and it felt GREAT! So we celebrated with a Whatacheeseburger Junior on our way to get pedicures! 

This particular Saturday, I knew would be just as peaceful. Just a baby shower gift and a birthday present for grandma to pick up as the cleaning and grocery store were tended to yesterday. So when I woke up this morning at 7:30, I checked the weather and decided to go for a walk. Dude an I have a pretty normal routine on our walks. When he goes with me we follow the same path for the most part. This morning started no different. There weren't many folks out when we started, with the exception of one guy loading his 4-wheeler in the back of his truck and a woman walking house to house to put flyers on doors. 

We got to almost our half way point and found an open gate to some river-front property that is for sale. I've always wondered what it looked like down by the water so we followed the "road" down to the river. It was like a whole different world. Across the river were homes I didn't know existed in New Braunfels - beautiful two and three story homes with decks and balconies and green lawns and trees and rope swings and staircases winding down to the river. Dude got to swim a bit and we got back to the walk. 

When I turned around in the cul de sac, I noticed the woman distributing flyers - about a mile from where I saw her first. I didn't really pay much attention to that at all...until... 

As we made our way back up the street, I caught site of a little girl, probably 3 or 4, leaving the front stoop of a house and "jogging" up the street in front of me. She was still in pajamas and barefooted-so I just assumed she was playing since it was such a beautiful morning. Until we got to the end of the street and she was still jogging...across the street, around the corner and up the next street. About half way up the block, she started to slow down and look around at all of the different houses. Then she stopped. And turned in circles...searching for something. I crossed the street to ask her if she was looking for someone...she said her mom. I asked when and where she saw her last - she said she was passing out flyers and she wanted to go with her. So I asked her if she knew where her house was and if there was anyone else there. She said yes, and turned to start running again...back from where she just came from. I panicked. I'm not sure why, but I can't imagine being the parent at the house looking for your daughter that has vanished at 7:30 in the morning - or the parent that is out walking, oblivious to your daughter running the streets looking for you. So I turned around and followed her again. I worried that I would scare her by chasing after her, but I was getting scared for her AND her parents. As I rounded the corner I could hear her mother - calling her name, and watched as the little girl ran full speed into her mother's arms. Whew...

So Dude and I turned around and headed back in the direction of our house. We passed a gentleman on a golfcart - who had driven by 4 or 5 times during our walk. Turns out, he had lost his dog and was on the hunt for it. I told him I'd keep eyes open and got his address in case I found her. As we turned towards the river, there were was a fire truck and two sheriffs  parked at the end of the block. They had been called to a grass fire that was non-existent down by the river. I let Dude swim again, and as we made the final approach to Mooncrest, the man on the golfcart drove by with his dog on his lap, a big grin on his face and gave me a thumbs up. 

So all is right in the world again...All of that before 9 a.m. I might have to take a nap today. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great morning! I could picture it all. Give Dude and Joel a big hug!
Love you,