Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Whaaaa????

I have been traveling quite a bit lately for work but iIt had been a really long time since I took a road trip, just me, myself and I when I drove to OKC a few weeks ago. Well, half of it was with me, myself and I - the other half was with my sweet friend Angela. She rode with me to OKC, then I made my way back to New Braunfels solitaire, stopping half way in Fort Worth for a Randy Rogers Band show and a great dinner with my aunt and uncle. The miles and time flew by too fast almost - and I realized how much I missed just driving. I listened to what I wanted, thought about what I wanted, and stopped when I wanted. Please, don't think I don't love traveling with others...it's just that I used to spend many many days and nights driving by myself, either to and from college or hauling horses somewhere. I did a lot of soul searching in those days. And it felt good to do it again...

But once again, I have strayed from the point of this post...

While I was cruising along somewhere between Oklahoma City and Fort Worth, I was listening to one of the comedy channels on XM. The comedian mentioned a carpet rake...A CARPET RAKE...my mind raced back in time (imagine the technique used in movies where it appears as though the camera is traveling at warp speed down a hall filled with all the items representing things in your past and screeching to a stop on one...brown...carpet rake). I hadn't thought of raking carpet in years. It used to be "my chore." We had lime green carpet in one of our houses and LOTS of it...my job was to rake it in between vacuuming. Rake downstairs, rake upstairs, rake the stairs...why didn't we just vacuum? So I texted my mom. "Why did we rake our carpet?" Her reply was that the lovely green shag was so long that we were afraid of what had been lost in it. So I looked up carpet rakes online. I was surprised to learn that they are alive and well on most happy homemaker sites...



I bet you're surprised to learn that we (okay, I) don't own one.

No comments: