Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Johnny Depp


I am and always have been a fan of Johnny Depp. I had forgotten how much I like him until recently when, in two days, these three things happened:
  • Some friends of ours here in town dressed their three kids in three JD characters for Halloween (Edward Scissorhands, the Mad Hatter and Jack Sparrow). It reminded me of all the great movies he's been in - and the characters he morphed into to make those movies what they are.
  • While searching for a Beatles video on YouTube, a Letterman interview of JD popped up. Randomly. Its the great one where he proclaims (repeatedly) that he does not watch his own movies. That his focus is on the process and once the process of acting is over for him, what happens with the film is "none of his business."
  • My Netflix account recommended to me yesterday that I add Johnny Depp movies to my que. (I did, btw. )
I admire his work ethic and how he chooses his characters...I respect how he talks about his life and his family and children. I appreciate that he doesn't live here or swim in the sewage of hollywood. And I'll admit, he's not hard to look at. He takes his work seriously and believes it to be his craft - not just a ticket to stardom. And here's one more reason to love Johnny Depp..

On October 8, 2010, Depp made an unannounced appearance at a London Primary School near where he was filming scenes for the fourth installment of the Pirates of the Caribbean film series. He turned up dressed as his character Jack Sparrow after receiving a letter from a pupil asking for his help with a class mutiny.

So here's to Jonny Depp...and Gilbert Grape, Edward Scissorhands, Cry-Baby, Officer Tom Hanson, Sam from Benny & June, William Blake, Don Juan, Raoul Duke, Ichabod Crane, Willy Wonka, Ed Wood...

If you haven't see the episode of Inside the Actors Studio with him, you can check out part 1 here. (The other rest is avail on YouTube as well).

No comments: