Monday, May 10, 2010

May...be, baby...

We celebrated our 3 Year Anniversary last week. Me and my best friend, Joel Charles Schoepf, Jr. I can't believe it's been three years. I feel like we just got married. Rather than scanning the past three years as a horizontal time line, I see it more like a stack of pancakes...sweet, delicious, blueberry and buckwheat pancakes - with one occurrence no sweeter than the next - but instead adding layers to our sweet life. I love thinking about our life and all that we have had the opportunity to enjoy together...all the travel and shows and freedoms that we have had...it's been amazing. Here's to you, babe. I can't remember what life was like before you...and I don't really want to.

Speaking of sweet layers, we are ONE WEEK away from our due date! I can't believe it. All the stories that everyone tried to tell me in the beginning about how flying time comes to a screeching halt towards the end, they were true. The nursery is ready, the house is ready, Joel is home, I'm wrapping up my work...we are ready!!!! But she, however, is not. Tomorrow will be 39 weeks and the little booger is still breech. The doctor isn't worried...so I'm not (much). I'm a bit thrown, but only a little bit. I have known all along that pregnancies don't always go the way we plan them...and neither do deliveries. I keep telling myself not to rush it - not to be anxious. Animals are not given a due date...they don't live in anticipation of a day on the calendar to give birth. They keep themselves busy and occupied with their normal everyday grazing and nut collecting and dam building. I'm trying to live like that. Patience has NEVER been one of my strong points...so "trying" is saying a lot. In regard to the breechness I'm walking, swimming, drinking water, spending lots of time on my hands and knees...I'm trying all the wives tales so we'll see what happens. Whether she flips or not, we are focused on a healthy baby and remembering that just because this process does not go as planned it is not a failure. And grinning slightly at the way she is already teaching us that regardless of our planning, she has the upper hand.

Joel is home for the next month and a half. We are on cruise control. We'll keep you updated!

2 comments:

capturing said...

Amazing! I can't believe the time is coming so near for her to enter this world. And such wise words Robin, I love reading what you write. Congratulations, congratulations on everything. You two are some special people, and your little will be just as special, even more so, because little people always out do the bigger people!

Anonymous said...

What a great adventure ahead! Thank you for taking us along for the ride! I love my "mammy bag"! Thank you for making mother's day so special! Makes me feel like I have a part in this most excellent adventure!
Love, love, love,
Joyce